Monday, February 3, 2014

Review of Exercise Tops (and Your Final 4 Challenges)

Good evening!  I apologize for not getting a challenge for today out to you.  I suffered from the result of eating a whole lot of bad-for-me Super Bowl Party food last night and was home in bed by the 3rd quarter.  I even knew as I was loading up my plate that I would pay for it later but did that stop me?  NOPE.  And did I pay for it later?  YEP.  I was miserable and awful and just wanted to throw up to feel better.  When will I learn? 

As a result, today was an unintended (but probably much needed) rest day for you.  Your remaining four challenges will be posted at the end of this blog.  Before that, though, I wanted to review some workout tops that I have.  Unfortunately, for you men out there, I am only reviewing women's tops.  But perhaps there is a special lady in your life for whom you might buy workout clothes.  Just DON'T buy her workout clothes unless she asks for them.  Otherwise, you are implying that you think she needs to exercise and that leads to an argument you will not win! 

As many of you know, I'm a bit of a shopaholic.  I know, I know.  It's shocking to hear, right?  It's true.  And while I only run in Asics shoes, I have a few other brands that I buy for apparel.  That is due, in part, to the fact that I can't buy Asics apparel in a store (hence I can't try it on) but it's also because there are some great retailers with high quality product.  The reviews below are for tank tops because that's the type of top I wear most.  There are no singlets reviewed because a singlet is a singlet as far as I'm concerned.  It's when you get to the fitted tops and/or tops with shelf bras that things become a little trickier.   I had planned on including one of my favorite Asics tops in the review but I checked their website to get current pricing and apparently they don't make it anymore.  So here are the 4 tops (ha!) up for review.

Strappy Tank Bra

 
 Running Skirts Strappy Tank Bra (www.runningskirts.com, $54.00) - I have to admit I've only worn this tank a few times and mostly for a general workout, not running.  However, my business partner wore the pictured gold one during the Princess Half Marathon last year.  I asked her opinion and she said it's comfortable and it didn't chafe in the heat.  It comes with extra pads in the shelf bra but Jess wore it without the pads but with a sports bra underneath.  That's how I have worn it as well.  With a bra underneath, it's a good all-purpose tank including for running and higher impact workouts.  Without an additional bra underneath, I would limit to low impact exercises.  One of my favorite things about this top, though, is the pocket in the back.  It's a great place to store Gu or Blocks but I wouldn't recommend putting a key or ID in that pocket as it doesn't zip. 
 
No Limits Tank
 

 
 
 Lululemon No Limits Tank (www.lululemon.com, $64.00) - I'm sure you heard all of the hullabaloo a few months ago about the CEO of Lululemon sticking his foot in his mouth several times.  While I don't think he should have phrased his remarks the way he did, I refuse to boycott them.  Mostly because I'm in love with their clothing.  And this top is no different.  They market this top as a yoga top because there isn't a whole lot of support in the bra.  I have used it as a running top but it probably is best used in lower impact workouts.  A couple things I like about this top:  the fact that the bra is attached but the top flows away from the body is great.  Someone like me who overheats easily will find this top breathable and very light.  Also, there is a wide band around the hips so the top stays in place.  GENIUS!!  This top is a little expensive so I recommend trying to find it on sale.  As much as I love this top, I'm pretty sure I didn't pay full price (and I don't think I would pay full price for it). 

Scoop Neck Tank
Lululemon Scoop Neck Tank ($48) - This tank is worth every penny!  On the website it lists the tank as "moderate support" but for someone who is a smaller bust size, it's perfect!  No need for an additional bra and I ran a half-marathon in the teal top with no discomfort at all.  Larger busted women, though, might not fit well in this and/or need an additional bra.  I will warn you that it is a very fitted top throughout so if you are not comfortable showing every inch of your torso, this probably is not the top for you.  Even I have to suck it in a little bit when wearing this top.  Like I said, though, it's worth every penny!

Push Ur Limits Tank
 


Lululemon Push Ur Limits Tank ($58.00) - I just bought this top last week while in Chicago for work.  So far, I really like it.  It's very comfortable and moved well when I was lifting weights.  I will say, though, that I haven't been able to run in it yet though it's very supportive so I don't imagine I will have problems with it.  Again, it's fitted throughout so if you are not a fan of fitted tops, this is not the one for you.  When I got this tank, it was on sale and I'm not sure I would pay full price at this point.  Once I run in it, I might reconsider, though. 
 
 
Alright...did you pick up that I might have a love for Lululemon?  Like I said, I was going to review my Asics top as well but I didn't want to give you a review for an item you can no longer buy.  I hope you found at least one of the reviews helpful, though.  If you have any of the reviewed items and have feedback for the readers, feel free to enter a comment.  I would love to hear what you think.  Or if you have a great tank that others might like, share that in the comments as well!
 
Now for the remaining four challenge days.  I can't believe it's been almost 30 days!  Time flies when you are having fun, I guess!  Once this challenge ends, I will start another one but will post either a week at a time or the whole 30 days worth at the beginning and then just provide reminders throughout the challenge.  I haven't decided yet but will let you know well in advance.  Here are your final challenges...
 
Tuesday (Day 27) - Jumping jacks for 30 seconds followed by burpees for 30 seconds (3 sets)
 
Wednesday (Day 28) - Bicep curls (10 reps at a weight that really challenges you) followed by running arms (with 5-10 pounds) for 30 seconds (3 sets)
 
Thursday (Day 29) - Squat jumps for 30 seconds followed by walking lunges (with a challenging weight) 10 lunges on each leg (3 sets)
 
Day 30 is going to be a tough one but I know you can do it!  You've come so far!!
 
Friday (Day 30) - Burpees (30 seconds) then mountain climbers (30 seconds) then plank (30 seconds) (3 sets)
 
Check in with me as the week goes and let me know how you are doing.  Also, feel free to comment on how you think the challenge went, any ideas for next time, ways to improve, etc.  I'm always look to make it better each time. 
 
BE BOLD! BE YOU!
 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment