Monday, September 17, 2012

Where Does the Time Go?

I feel like I've used that title before...but alas. It's been a long month already. I've been on the road for 9 of the last 12 days and I'm in Chicago this week so no rest for the weary. Actually, this week is exciting though because I am at the network office covering for my boss while he is on leave. So I get to learn about being a network strategic planner at a time when the Network Director is getting ready for his FY 13 briefing with the Secretary of VA. For those of you who are not in VA (or don't know much about it), that basically means that I get to help prep my boss' boss for his meeting with his boss' boss' boss (aka the big dog). It will definitely be a learning experience for me and will help me show the folks at the network office (besides my boss) what I am capable of which bodes well for me. Last week was week 3 of leadership in San Diego. I can honestly say it was not my favorite week of leadership but I did learn a few things. But my favorite part of the week was getting to my 19th ballpark!!!
Remember those 23 questions I told you all about in July after my leadership week in July? Yeah...it turns out there are actually 50 questions!
So, of course, we had to go through them. Plus a few of us had come up with our own questions since July. Needless to say, we had a FANTASTIC evening last week. Mind you, we did not do the questions on the same night as baseball. We would not have been able to handle that much excitement in one evening. But a good time was had by all on both nights! HALF MARATHON UPDATE: So in the process of all this traveling, I have actually managed to continue my training. I have kind of surprised myself with that. A week ago Saturday, I did my longest run to date...8 miles. I still can't believe I did that many. It was brutal and I thought my legs were going to fall off. The saying in the running world that you "hit the wall" during a race?? Yeah, I hit the wall at mile 7 of my 8 mile run. But I keep running and this weekend I am doing my first ever 10-K here in Chicago. I'm excited about it because I think after doing my 8 miles, 6.2 shouldn't be too bad. Of course, I'm scheduled to run 10 miles this weekend so I will have to fit 4 more miles in when I get back to Kingsford. My fundraising for St. Jude has kind of stalled at $1500 but I am having a fundraiser party on the 29th so hopefully the few people I know in the U.P. will bring a few people they know and we can raise a little bit more money. If you are one of those folks and reading this, please mark it on your calendar. If you are not in the U.P. and haven't donated yet, please please please please do so!! The kids of St. Jude need your help! Let's see...what else is going on?? Oh, I recently decided I need to play golf a heck of alot more than once every two years. Yeah...it wasn't pretty. But I had a good time and that's the most important part of golf, right?? Anyhoo...hope ya'll have a great week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment