Monday, December 9, 2013

Quick and Easy Burrito Recipe

For those of you who know me well, you know I don’t cook.  I’m the queen of PB&J sammiches and cold cereal.  Or at least I was.  Turns out, eating healthy sometimes requires cooking.  Unless, of course, you want salad every day for lunch and dinner.  Yeah, that doesn’t sound appealing at all does it?  So I decided a while back that I probably should start cooking more.  As it turns out, there are quick and easy recipes that even I can make (and generally they turn out pretty good).  One of my recent recipe discoveries that is super easy and super quick is Corn and Black Bean Burritos.  I actually added some chicken as well for a little more protein and I left out the avocado because I don’t do avocado. 

1/4 cup scallions, rinsed and sliced into 1/4-inch wide circles including green tops
1/4 cup celery, rinsed and finely diced
1 1/4 cup frozen yellow corn
1/2 ripe avocado, peeled and diced
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1 can (15 1/2 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup salsa or taco sauce (look for lowest sodium version)
12 (9-inch) whole wheat tortillas

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine scallions, celery and corn in a small saucepan.  Add just enough water to cover.
3. Cover, bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium.  Simmer for 5 minutes, until vegetables soften.  Drain and set aside to cool.
4. Combine avocado, cilantro and beans in a large mixing bowl.  Add cheese and salsa and mix.
5. When corn mixture has cooled slightly, add to avocado mixture.
6. In a large nonstick pan over medium heat, warm each tortilla for about 15 seconds on each side.  Place each tortilla on a flat surface.  Spoon 1/3 cup of the mixture in the center of the tortilla.  Fold the top and bottom of the tortilla over the filling.  Fold in the sides to make a closed packet. 
7. Repeat with remaining tortillas. 
8.  When all tortillas are wrapped, continue heating in the oven 5 minutes, until all are warm and cheese is melted.

12 servings
each serving provides:
calories: 189
total fat: 3 g
saturated fat: 0 g
cholesterol: 0 mg
sodium: 257 mg
total fiber: 3 g
protein: 8 g
carbohydrates: 34 g
potassium: 204 mg

 


If you try the recipe, comment and let me know what you think. 

BE BOLD! BE YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment