Sunday, July 15, 2012

Adult Supervision Required

What a week! I had a mid-week trip to Milwaukee for a planning session which allowed me drive time to get to know one of my co-workers better. We had a great time! As I always try to do in my blog, I promised her I wouldn't name names. Primarily because she may have overshot the parking spaces in the government van a few times but we won't discuss that! So on the way down, we stopped at a gas station outside Fond du Lac (I think) and they had Diet Gold Peak tea in a bottle. Now, this may not seem like much to any of you but I cannot find DIET Gold Peak anywhere in the greater Iron Mountain micropolitan area. Yes, that's a word. Look it up! Anyway, so I told my co-worker that we would have to stop at that gas station on our way home so I could buy a few to take home. When we pulled in on our return trip, she joked to me that I should ask them if I could buy a case. As she came out of the restroom, I was walking out with a case of Gold Peak in my arms. She laughed so hard she had to stop in her tracks. Apparently, she didn't think I would really do it!! And when I go to Madison this week, I will be checking all of the gas stations to see if I can find more! It's SOOOO good! The other stop on the way home was at this place.
Only the best homemade ice cream in the world. Holy canoli!! And I might have overdone it a bit. I had a scoop of Smores and a scoop of Firecracker (vanilla, I think, with raspberry and blueberry swirl). Then I went back and got a very large ice cream cookie sandwich with homemade M & M cookies! It was so tasty. I thought my co-worker was going to fall over she was laughing so hard! And, not surprisingly, I didn't have to have dinner that night and I was barely hungry for breakfast the next morning! One of the best parts of the week, though, was this weekend. My friend Desi was in Wisconsin for a wedding and I was her date. For those of you who don't know Desi, she lives in Memphis now but is from WI. So the wedding was in Hurley which is about 2.5 hours from Iron Mountain and, apparently, is known for having an abundance of strip clubs downtown. Turns out, though, that you can have all kinds of crazy fun in Hurley without going to the strip clubs. Well, you can if you are Desi and MK and have a smidge too much to drink. I'm pretty sure that tiny town (population 1500) will NEVER be the same again. And this morning they were all probably talking about the crazy girls from out of town! But we had a blast! And being the responsible adults we are, neither of us drove. Though we might have hitch-hiked. Now don't flip out. It's not as bad as it sounds. We were walking down the street from the hotel to the bars and this car passed us and turned around and the lady in the back seat asked us if we knew where Pizza Hut was. We laughed and said we had no idea and then I asked her if she could give us a ride. Her 11 year old son and teenage nephew were in the car as well so we figured we were safe. And it saved us from walking a mile into town. Of course, we had to walk that mile back to the hotel at the end of the night. And boy was that an entertaining walk. Somehow, I tripped and rolled down a small hill. But my hip was ok.
So breakfast/lunch this morning looked like this...guess which one is mine? (HINT: not the healthy one).
So it's probably a good thing Desi and I don't live in the same place anymore. And it's probably better for the small towns in the midwest!

1 comment: