Tuesday, May 6, 2014

TRX Suspension Training versus GoFit Gravity Straps Training

Some of you may recall that I teach a TRX-style class at the Y called “Gravity Straps.”  The reason we call it that is because that’s what the straps are called.  They are actually Gravity Straps made by a company called GoFit and they are essentially the same as TRX Suspension Training straps.  Since I teach this class, I figured it would be a good idea for me to get certified in TRX to build my knowledge base and progress my class. 

As a result, this past Sunday, I spent 8 hours in class in Chicago learning all about TRX.  Well, I can’t say I learned “all about” it because I’m sure there is a ton of information we didn’t cover.  I will say, though, that it was one of the best fitness/personal training classes I’ve ever attended.  Those 8 hours went by so quickly it felt like we were there for 3 or 4 hours.  And our instructor was great!  Not only was she hilarious (which of course I appreciated), she was very well versed in all things TRX and crazy fit.  I mean the woman was doing superman push-ups with both feet suspended and then she did incline pushups like it was no big deal.  Here she is in an obstacle course race Shana Verstegen  Crazy lady J 
I guess I should explain what suspension training is for those of you who don’t know.  Suspension training is basically multi-planar training using suspension straps where one or both of your hands or feet are suspended.  It’s a great workout because you are using your own bodyweight (or you can add weights) but the angle at which you exercise is what increases or decreases the difficulty.  A lot of physical therapy practices have started using it with their patients because you can do decreased-load type exercises. 

Now that you know what suspension training is and now that I have used both types of suspension training systems, I feel qualified enough to provide you with a review and my recommendation.  We’ll start with a little description of each:

TRX Suspension Training – This system was created by Navy SEALS who were deployed in Afghanistan in the middle of nowhere and wanted to stay fit but didn’t have any weights or machines or anything.  So they strung together parachute netting and a belt and created the first suspension training system.  The system itself is pretty basic.
 
The only thing that really needs to be installed is the anchor system.  After that, the handles and foot cradles are all in one and the ease with which you can adjust the straps is pretty high.  If you don’t have a secure place from which to hang the TRX suspension trainer, it does come with an over the door anchor.  The downside to using the door anchor is that it limits your vector/angle at which you can do exercises (the lower you are to the ground, the more difficult the exercise).  The straps hold up to 350 lbs so 95% of the population can use them safely. 
 

GoFit Gravity Straps – This system was created by GoFit as a more economical suspension training system.  They are essentially the same as TRX with a few small (but significant) differences.  First and foremost are the Gravity Straps themselves.  With the TRX straps, the handles and foot cradles are all in one but with Gravity Straps, they are two separate sets of handles.  This means that when you go from standing exercises to ground exercises, you have to stop and change the handles.  This doesn’t seem like that big of a deal but it does take time between exercises and interferes with flow through a workout.  Gravity straps do come with a door anchor as well which makes them as portable as TRX, though they do not come with a wall/ceiling anchor so you have to jerry rig the straps to hang them from the ceiling. The straps also hold up to 300 pounds so, again, most everyone can use them. 
 
So here’s my analysis:

Feature
TRX Suspension Trainer
GoFit Gravity Straps
Wall/ceiling anchor
 Yes – does not come with initial package but can purchased
No
Door anchor
Yes
Yes
Adjustable straps
Yes
Yes
Pre-identified markings on straps to indicate mid-length (this is important because most exercises for upper body are at mid-length)
Yes
No – there are markings on straps but none delineate where mid-length is so you have to guess/count the number of lines
Ease of adjustment
High
Moderately high
Adjustable to short and full-length with ease
Yes - there are “stops” in the straps that prevent them from going to short or falling out of the buckle
No - if you fully extend the straps they will fall off the buckle and if you fully shorten them you wouldn’t be able to use them
Separate foot cradles from handles
No
Yes – this is a negative because it creates added work and can disrupt work out flow
Adjustable loop (so if your straps are just a bit off you can simple move the full strap through the loop rather than fuss with the buckle
Yes
No
Cost for basic package
$199
$99
Basic package includes:
·         Mounting hardware/brackets (door anchor)
·         2 straps
·         2 two-in-one handles/foot cradles
·         Training guide (not DVD)
·         6 full workout guides (15 and 30 minute)
·          
·         Mounting hardware/brackets (door anchor)
·         2 straps
·         2 handles
·         2 foot cradles
·         Training DVD
·         Exercise guide
Additional accessories
$15-40
$5-15

 

In the end, for me, the winner is clear.  Even though it’s more expensive, TRX for me is the way to go for suspension training systems.  Not having to change the handles/cradles between exercises and knowing the right length without having to count lines and the ease of adjustment really does make it worth the extra funds.  That being said, if you are not sure you want to spend that kind of money, you can get a great workout with the Gravity Straps.  If you are serious about suspension training though, I highly recommend the TRX system. 
 
BE BOLD! BE YOU!

2 comments:

  1. So many pricing options. I bought two. Both were Golds Gym. One was a cheaper version ($20) that have multiple door anchor spots. I've ended up using this the most. To start this was great. I had bought the more expensive TRX style straps that are down in the basement and fix to an anchor point in the ceiling. This was $40 at walmart, same as the first. - - - That all said, of all the trainers I've seen, The Human Trainer calls to me when I'm ready to upgrade. Two separate straps to change from one anchor point, to should width, to extra wide. I love the metal D links that allow you to change length and be the same for each side. There are many other cheaper options on ebay and amazon.... typicall $30-60-all the way up to hundreds. I'd suggest trying the cheaper one and if you like it....see which style of adjustment would work for you and your home. - - I did buy the GoFit gravity straps as a gift for a family to use. They can always upgrade if they enjoy it. --- I just LOVE these and find I can use them and want to use them. Love Love Love suspension strap systems. Which one is right for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks nice and the offer is also very good. Keep sharing such details. Exercising is essential for our bodies to function in the right way. I also perform yoga on everyday basis and wear the trendy apparels. I like to invest in the Designer Leggings and tank tops for my fitness sessions.

    ReplyDelete