Thursday, May 8, 2014

Fighting the Gold Standard?

A close friend of mine posted on Facebook this morning that she had finally achieved her running goal but that she wasn’t going to share it.  Her rationale was that there were people who would say “that’s not very fast” and others who would say “I will never run that fast” and while I agree with her to some degree, it was also very disheartening.  She went on to say that the biggest mistake we make is comparing ourselves to others rather than who or what we were yesterday, which is absolutely true.  That doesn’t change, however, the fact that she felt like she couldn’t or shouldn’t share her amazing accomplishment.

It got me thinking, though, as we go through our own fitness journey, why do we feel like we can’t share our accomplishments for fear or worry of what others will say?  There are so many negatives in life that something positive like achieving a fitness or health goal is something that should be celebrated.  Why should we censor ourselves because someone else might feel bad or, worse, make us feel bad?  It’s a sad commentary on our society and how we have become conditioned to keep our accomplishments to ourselves. 
More than once, I have had a client say “I’ve only lost 2 pounds” or “I can only run a 12 minute mile.”  WHAT?  Why did they make those statements with a negative connotation?  That’s absurd!  How about this instead?
“I lost 2 pounds!!” or “I’m down to a 12 minute mile!”  
Those statements are so much more positive and celebrate accomplishment.  Anyone who has tried to lose weight knows that 2 pounds is a big freaking deal!  It’s not easy to lose any amount of weight.  It takes dedication and hard work.  Freaking celebrate it!  The same with running; AT ANY PACE!  Celebrate the fact that you get out and run and that you are running faster than you did last week, last month or last year! 
After 3 hip surgeries now, I have been in that position many times and still am most days.  I know that I can run faster or squat a heavier load or hold plank longer.  I know I can because I’ve done it before.  So why do I belittle the fact that 4+ months after another hip surgery, I am about to run a 5K?   Who cares what pace I run, right?  It’s the fact that I am running again that matters. 
I know my issue is that I’m a competitive person (shocking, I know!) and I’m especially competitive with myself.  I think the other reason we beat ourselves up is because of this gold standard that society as a whole has created.  The standard that you have to be a certain size or have ripped abs or run a sub-10 minute mile to be considered “fit”.  It goes back to one of my initial blogs about being healthy rather than being fit.  Not everyone loses weight the same way or in the same place.  Same thing with toning your muscles or getting that 6-pack of abs.  Some body types just don’t get there. 
 
I haven’t figured out a way to overcome that little (or not so little) voice in my head or that little green monster who lives inside me.  I am so proud of my friend for achieving her goal (yes, I know what it is but am not going to share because it’s not mine to share).  That doesn’t mean I’m not a little bit jealous.  That being said, I am so proud of how far I’ve come despite all I’ve been through with 3 surgeries in 2 years.  I’m proud of the fact that I’m running my first post-op 5 K this weekend.  I know that someday, I will get back to my former pace and maybe even lower it a bit.  And you should be proud of your health and fitness accomplishments as well!  So I encourage you to share your successes with those closest to you.  Be proud of what you have done!  Life is too short to not celebrate the little (or big) things!

BE BOLD! BE YOU!

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Greetings! Very helpful advice within this post! It is the little changes which will make the greatest changes. Thanks for sharing!

    Handmade Walking Sticks

    ReplyDelete